Hey hey hey, Happy Friday people!
I can’t tell you how pumped I am it’s Friday. I wasn’t feeling well earlier this week (Tuesday-Wednesday) and I’m finally feeling back to normal. Being sick/tired whatever I had, sucked. The thought of cooked food sickened me and all I wanted was salt and carbs. So that’s what I did. I ate some sweet potato and plantain chips and cooked myself some gluten-free hemp muffins. (recipe below). They were so fantastic I made them again the next night. Success.
So … lately I’ve been listening to a lot of podcasts. I’ll plug in while I’m in the car, while I’m running or at work. I seriously want to host a podcast. They sound so much fun. And I learn so much from them. The last few days, I’ve been listening to Chris Kresser’s Revolution Health Radio, and its prompted me to start questioning and researching my hormones. I’ve been tracking them this week and noting feelings, cravings, workouts, sleep patterns, etc. I’m hoping to find some really interesting results and hope to share them with you in the next month or so. So, stay tuned :)
In other news … my shoulder sucks. Like really sucks. It’s been feeling wonky for the last few months and I finally gave in and walked down to our rehab clinic to get it checked out (Thanks, Sarah!). There’s obviously been some damage done to it and I’m not helping the cause by continuing to hammer it through HIIT workouts. I promised my intern, Sarah once the gym closes for their big move, I’ll rest it (she shook her head and dug into my pec a little harder).
Honestly, it’s been really good for me to go through rehab, besides humbling the hell out of me, it gives me the time and place to relax and be aware of my body and it’s positioning. Today, I posted an image on instagram of myself lying on the ground and the placement of my shoulder in its “relaxed position” (something that Sarah made me do at our last appointment) and as you can see, there’s a large (I’m talking an entire fist worth of) space from my shoulder to the ground. I’m a visual person so I had to see it for myself. And holy crap, my shoulders DO roll in. Like….a TON.
To remedy the issue, I’ve been incorporating a lot more shoulder mobility pre- and post-workout. A lot of wall angels and resistance band work:
If you’re interested:
- Feet come out from the wall about 1-1 1/2 feet away.
- Arms are bent at the elbow, perpendicular to your body.
- Focus on pushing your head, wrists, elbows, upper and lower back against the wall.
- Slowly lower yourself into a shallow squat.
- Actively push your low back and pelvis towards the wall.
- Hold for 10 seconds. Do 5-10 sets.
And of course, for what you really care about: Gluten Free Hemp Biscuits !
Gluten Free Hemp Biscuits
Easy biscuits that are warm, comforting and guilt-free!
Write a review
- 1/2c gf oats, ground
- 1 tbs hemp protein powder
- 1 tsp pink salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1/2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs cashew or almond milk
- 1/4 water
- Blend gluten free oats in nutribullet or blender to ground.
- Combine dry ingredients first. Mix evenly.
- Combine wet ingredients.
- Place in a short drinking glass or ceramic mug.
- Microwave on High for 4-5 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Loosen edges, tip mug over on a plate (biscuit roll should slide out)
- Cut 3-4 slices.
- Slather with coconut oil, grass fed butter or your favorite nut butter or jam!
- If you don't have hemp powder, either go without or use: flax meal, chia seeds.
- To sweeten, add 1tbs honey or pure maple syrup.